Now, the best thing ever eaten
exposes electric experiences
of Heavenly tastes, textures,
Preferring plant-based food
to care for myself & mother earth.
All the nutriments this son
of the earth needs for survival.
But being truly hungry
humbled his-self’s appreciation
of whatever foods are offered,
as they’re all gifts of the universe.
Hands extended, & receiving.
Hearing of those who raised funds locally,
then purchased food to prepare,
bag and serve to any who present
themselves as in need of eating,
as I did & do, when required,
still brings me to my knees in gratitude.
- This food is a gift of the earth, the sky, numerous living beings, and much hard and loving work.
- May we eat with mindfulness and gratitude so as to be worthy to receive this food.
- May we recognize and transform unwholesome mental formations, especially our greed and learn to eat with moderation.
- May we keep our compassion alive by eating in such a way that reduces the suffering of living beings, stops contributing to climate change, and heals and preserves our precious planet.
- We accept this food so that we may nurture our brotherhood and sisterhood, build our Sangha, and nourish our ideal of serving all living beings. ~Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh’s 5 contemplations
Note: I’ll be on mindfulness meditation retreat in Oct. Look forward to reconnecting with WP friends by the end of the month. Wishing you happiness & well being, david.